Friday 3 August 2012

Being the Little Sister of the Poor


I'm not saying all my days are bad but being the little sister of an older poor sister has it's downfalls. I get picked on at school and ridiculed by my peers wherever I go. When Im on the bus I get teased because I have holes in not only my shoes but my clothes as well. I live with my older sister because my parents died of a horrific car accident and she was the only family I had left. She has a two bedroom house and a husband who drinks a lot and two children of her own and they barely make ends meet and then there's me!

We hardly have any food and feeding five people from one can of beans and pancakes for dinner is pretty difficult but she does it and I get fed so I can't complain; sometimes I do, though I don't mean to. I hate going to church but she makes me go. I don't like going because the kids from school throw rocks at me when we go out to play. It hurts my feelings and while I try not to show it, it does show because it hurts physically and I cry.
I get called stinky because there isn't any soap to shower with so I have only water in the shower to rinse my sweaty body off with when I bathe. I sometimes shower twice a day because I don't want to be smelly but there's really no point because my hair still smells like smoke and dirt. I don't understand why we can't get any soap when my sister's husband can get beer and cigarettes. I better not ask that because I might get in trouble. I don't like being the little sister of a poor family.

I often dream of being a sister of the rich girls at school. I bet they have pretty clothes in their closets and good smelling soap to shower with and tasty foods to eat at night and a T.V. to watch. We don't even have a T.V. in our home. Why do I have to be the little sister of the poor? It's not fair I tell you, it's just not fair. I know I can't change it right now but one day when I grow up I will change it because I am going to finish school and go to college and get a good job and change this cycle!

Enough of the pity party only I can change the situation in which I am in. Every morning before my feet hit the floor or well before I get out of the bed for the day I remind myself to say 5 positive things about my life or life itself. Today I have chosen to say 5 positive things about life and what life can offer to someone in my situation.

There is a community college not far from here and I should really start thinking about how I am going to be able to get in to college so today I will talk to the enrollment counselor there and see what strategies they can move around to help me to get in. I am almost done with my senior year and college is the stepping stone for my life change so I mustn't wait forever. I'm also going to my local human health and services office to apply for help there so that I can get out on my own and start a life for myself because I refuse to follow in the footsteps of my sister. I need help because Im only 18 and these organizations are set in place to help someone like me to get on my feet and that is why I need to do this. I am sure where my strength comes from but I bet it comes from seeing my sister do nothing to change her situation but to each is their own but I can say I don't want to live that way so this is my strength I suppose. I want to get a job to help with my schooling but right now my focus needs to remain on school and living with my sister I know it won't be. She tries to get me as a baby sitter and I just can't live that way.

So, I will be getting financial aide to help with my schooling to further my education and I will be getting government housing to help with shelter and I will also be applying for food assistance to help me with my groceries. I think I will be okay for the time being because I will also be getting a part time job to help pay my small utilities that I will incur. Overall being the little sister of the poor has truly taught me to change the situation you are in because if not no one else will do it for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment